There is a balance between sharing the photographs on this site and providing inspiration with the costs that go into creating and sharing the images. At paulmarles.com the use of images is allowed in two ways:
Creative Commons License
With a creative commons license you are free:
- To share, distribute and transmit the image
- To remix: create derivative works of the image
Under these conditions:
- Attribution: Attribution to Paul Marles must be made along with the image with a link back to paulmarles.com.
- Non-Commercial: The image must not be used for commercial purposes under any circumstances. For clarity on what constitutes commercial use, please see the 'Sample Use Requiring A License to Copyright' below.
Sample Accepted Use of the Creative Commons License:
- Blog post describing a trip to London
- Online article discussing the popularity of HDR photography
- A website for a school project about photography
- An individual using an image as a desktop background for the computer monitor
License to Copyright
'Commercial Use' regarding the use of images online or offline is defined very broadly. The determination of commercial or non-commercial use is based on the contextual use of the image. The determination is NOT based on the tax-filing of the entity using the image, nor on whether or not a financial transaction takes place.
Commercial use of our images is allowed only if expressly granted by paulmarles.com. All commercial uses will incur a licensing which are based on the following criteria:
- Media - print, web, television etc.
- Distribution size - number of copies printed, viewing audience size, exposure (regional, national, international)
- Length of use - 1 year, 2 years etc.
- Prominence of display - 1/4 page, 1/2 page, full page, spread, front cover, back cover, home page (online), interior page (online) etc.
All licensing inquiries should be made to: email@example.com
Sample Use requiring a License to Copyright:
- A marketing campaign for a commercial entity
- A fund-raising campaign for a not-for-profit entity
- A background image for a website about household furnishings
- License to create an individual print for use in a private home